Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Instuments / Avionics / Electrical System
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2005, 04:58 PM

Default Recognition / landing lights

Has anyone thought about using Bill Dube's combo lights in the wing tip of an EZ? The rear lights would have to be someting else but if the boards fit in the wingtip footprint it might have some merit. Any thoughts? Bill had an article in this months Sport Aviation.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:37 PM
Long EZ

Joe...Are there any pictures of this configuration?
Old 01-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

are these the coooooooool diode lights?
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 01-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Finally at Chapter 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Berki
Has anyone thought about using Bill Dube's combo lights in the wing tip of an EZ?
Nope, but I've thought of putting them in a Cozy.
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
Old 06-17-2006, 10:46 PM
Don P-Factor

Default My Landing Taxi Solution

Yamaha R1 headlight housing. Needs to be modified to fit but shows promise. Don.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0231.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	764.5 KB
ID:	2438  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0232.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	770.4 KB
ID:	2439  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0230.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	806.5 KB
ID:	2440  
Old 06-18-2006, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don P-Factor
Yamaha R1 headlight housing. Needs to be modified to fit but shows promise. Don.
Ver nice set up Don! Is that an HID light? If not,,,I recommend one. Ours wer $50.00 each from a junk yard and included the power supplys.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:09 AM
slightly crazy

looks very cool how bout these for the wing

I really like the idea alot. Just might prove difficult to realine the reflectors to shine forward in your case here.

AWESOME IDEA!!
Old 06-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Ray V.

I've thought about it, but I just don't have the heart for any more lengthy mods. You should be able to trim the boards down a little if they’re too big.

http://tinyurl.com/njy4z

He even offers a 35 watt HID (in lieu of the 75 watt halogen). The real trick is that you need it to fit in between the wing leading edge and the winglet/wing connection. (3.7-inches. Ref plans sheet 20-1.) Also, the total wing thickness at the wing/winglet connection is roughly 2.8”. The round HID landing light that he offers is 4.4” diameter.

For this application, you’d need a low profile light such as the XV-19.

http://www.xevision.com/

I also once saw a trailing edge light that was incorporated thru the winglet via a PVC conduit to the trailing edge. It was really snarky. I’d post the link if I remembered it.

I’m sure bill would send you all the required parts to custom fab one (minus the XV-19 landing light.) This is a serious mod however. I’d guess 100-200 hrs. More like 200 considering you need to make mine too... Better start working... Chop Chop! (Spoken while clapping hands)
Old 06-18-2006, 09:54 AM
Nathan Gifford

Well if you are going to use these lights in the wingtips just be sure to have the beams aimed to clear the canard. If you don't there is the high potential of getting some reflected glare from the surfaces of the canard.

One builder told me she was thinking about wingtip lights (I don't remeber if they were going to be HIDs). With the lights way out on the wingtips and the Cozy's landing speed, at night people would think it was some really fast, big ship that was landing. That might be a real plus in the pattern...
Better Still --> Chapter 9
Old 06-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Don P-Factor

Default Landing Taxi Mods

Quote:
Just might prove difficult to realine the reflectors to shine forward in your case here.
Yes Leon, I am working on this. There is also a ZX 9 at work that has a single bulb reflector. The main issues are: correct lens angle, Size, and shape. I will probably insert an Aircraft bulb assembly into the housing. I have been talking to my biker friends and so far the only test fit piece I could get was for the R1. I have lots of friends who remove the lights for racing but they do not fit into the required peramiters. Still thinking. Don.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:28 PM

I thought about my original idea and gave up on it. The Cozy lends itself to having the lights in the nose so I thought about it a while. The Long is so narrow up at the nose it would be hard to get acces to the lights. Besides i want a video camera in the nose too. Well I came up with a pod that bolts on to the nose. You can get to the fasteners from the nose door, pull the harness and drop the thing out of the bottom. Here are some preliminaries. The video camera will go between the lights.

Joe Berki

Limo EZ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1909.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	2441  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1910.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	2442  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1911.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	2443  
Old 06-18-2006, 08:41 PM
Nathan Gifford

Well I have considered putting a cam in too. I thought a better location would be in the winglet area using the power from the recognition lights. If you were to use some of the wireless cams these cams could be used to check the rear of the a/c (trailing oil or smoke) or whether nose gear or speed brake are properly deployed.

They are small, light, and relatively inexpensive though the resolution is not that great.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:12 PM
MarkIV N513DP Cozy540Xtra

For what its worth- I plan to have a mount for a removable cam in the noses of my baggage pods- [ Im using Gary's cuz of the nose shape].I have thought that point of view, showing part of the fuse forward would lend great scale to the scene.
T.O.'s & Landings will be very cool as the POV would be low and with the fuse in the pic on the side of the frame for reference. A changable baggage 2" nose cone- would allow either the standard aero tip shape or a flat camera window to be interchanged...
Thats whut I is goin ta do- somewheres on down the line afters I axtually get this thing a built and a flyun. Yep.
My .02
Old 06-18-2006, 10:14 PM
Nathan Gifford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Passey
...I plan to have a mount for a removable cam in the noses of my baggage pods...
My thoughts too. First off is to get the thing flying and then work on that. I want to make sure I have power available for the pods, so I will have to build that in when I make those sections of the aircraft (power & control).

The idea is to have enough power to control a high-res still or video cam mounted in a pod. After that I can put a small heater in there to keep the dachshund warm. The way she keeps eating she'll just fit...
Old 06-18-2006, 10:53 PM

I pulled coax and wire for four cameras mounted in various locations.