Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > PreBuild Planning and ACTIONS > Plane Day
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2005, 01:41 PM

uil hing will work but on the cozy the ark is taller than the cozy3 or long so the hinge bolt must be at the inner skin with a hole cut for the head of the bolt. in short...glue the bolt to the inner skin then try to get the hinge on.
the jetta or passie has a lifting hing,but be early with them,as they were out there is little you can do to get it to stay tite,i think there is a stop set on them,so set it for high and then later you can lower it.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve parkins
uil hing will work but on the cozy the ark is taller than the cozy3 or long so the hinge bolt must be at the inner skin with a hole cut for the head of the bolt. in short...glue the bolt to the inner skin then try to get the hinge on.
the jetta or passie has a lifting hing,but be early with them,as they were out there is little you can do to get it to stay tite,i think there is a stop set on them,so set it for high and then later you can lower it.
I installed the hinge to the very top of f-22, grinding the tops of the brackets to get the pivot points as high as possible, .010 clearance, then removed the foam from that portion of the canopy for clearance. Without grinding down the hinge itself around the pivot point, it was as tight and far up as it could be. I also thought about reproducing the Audi's hinge from aluminum, but I figure the weights will be nearly the same when you have to use thicker aluminum than the steel to compensate for strength difference. The Audi hinge also has the lift cylinders mounted to the hinge as a compact package. I have installed foam below the longeron from f-22 to the IP to give a 2-1/2" flat surface to mount a 1/4" plate aluminum reinforcement hardpoint the full length. This will be bolted in four places the the longeron with #10 bolts. I will then wrap with three layers of bid. I will also install 1/4" aluminum hardpoints in the canopy.

Neverquit, I like to use pour foam to glue the foam blocks together. Its much easier to sand and shape when you don't have to contend with micro joints. Just make sure you mix the poar foam thoroughly so you dont have any gummy spots. We were also told that pour foam has a tendency to shrink when it gets warm.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:10 PM
G.Norman

Dave,
I used insta-foam from Wicks this week. It's half the price of the XP-30 from AS&S but it seems to break down fast when sanding. Like sanding "Funyons" chips. Which are you using?
Old 10-20-2005, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverquit
Dave,
I used insta-foam from Wicks this week. It's half the price of the XP-30 from AS&S but it seems to break down fast when sanding. Like sanding "Funyons" chips. Which are you using?
We are using what I believe is now called XP-30. Its several years old and came from Wicks. The cans just has a paper sticker labeling it as polyurethane foam, Part A and Part B. The label says "Michigan Fiberglass" on it. It sands pretty good. Just make sure its well mixed and let it cure a day before shaping.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

heh heh heh - the cans say michigan fiberglass on them because i got them from "Michigan Fiberglass"
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 10-24-2005, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Plane day - attendance - Me, clifford, Tom, lafleur, matt(lafleur son) - thane was on ANOTHER trip

Tom worked on yet more seating parts - do they never end and lefleur made a new improved rear air transition that doesn't neck down airflow as the plans one does, then Tom glassed it and i learned that making the intake manifold will be more difficult than planned - glassing the odd shape requires thin stable strips of fabric - will have to experiment with a variety befor i buy.

Clifford worked on his canopy hinges and - and - the audi hinges look to me as they will work GREAT.

we made room on the bench and lefleur laid up the opposite side of his IP - yahoo - he has A part - now he work years to get back to 1 part

i repaired the landing gear bulkhead, we pot holes in them for an electrical conduit that was supposed to be just under the aileron cutout. - worked great in cliffords plane - did not in ours. 10 layers front and back of uni and 5 layers inside front and back and flox in the hole and 1 side is repaireded.

Matt learned how to drill a million holes in aluminum and then debur them and then he learned how to pop them in with a hand punch - the punch works great and i will never again drill a hole in thin metal - punch it. he also learned how not to clean and alodine aluminum parts - and then re did them all.

show and tell - lefleur always has the best show and tell - brought a mazda with a microtech engine controller and a computer hooked into it for programming the ECU - cool stuff - will let him tell his story, but darn, why does he always have the best show and tell - i'm gonna complain to my mommy so i can bring better show and tell in the future.

All in all - great plane day
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 10-31-2005, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Plane day - just the builders!!! me, thane and clifford.

i worked on rest of lg bulkhead repair and glassing in IP fuse cover - including the new drip rail - PIA to glass in the curve.

thane worked on - you guessed it - more interior seat parts - do they never end!!!

clifford is movin right along on the forward hinging canopy alla audi hinges.

Nothin fancy - just a plane buildin plane day
dust

Old 11-06-2005, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

attendees - me, thane, clifford and tom.

tom worked on - you guessed it - seat parts and hard points - will they ever end, supports center heat duct covers for the back seat, hinges for storage compartment, thane and i pitched in and helped install some of these darn parts - do we really need an interior, lotsa dam work.

thane layed up the new canopy to turtle drip rail on daves plane to match the one we already installed on ours - lookin goooooood.

Clifford installed wood hard points for his audi hinges - its gonna work just fine and he also started making the shroud for the ZENON lights - don't get any better than this.

I did silly little layups, front canopy edge 2 ply bid layup and micro and 3 ply bid layup on ip cover to fuse - did not like the current fit - fixeded it. i also cut into the longeron on both sides to make a ramp to drain the canopy to turtledeck drip rail.

parts is parts is parts and drew - way more steps than you estimate - i betcha i took 300 steps today. the number of steps is definitely related to the size of your workshop!
dust

Old 11-14-2005, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quiet plane day - just thane and I - tom off to a football game and clifford off in Maine looking at a piece of dirt.

Thane installed the new drip rail on Clifford's plane - lookin good and worked on - you guessed it - interior seating parts and rear heat duct cover - we finished up the day for an hour painting micro on all the edges.

I worked on drilling and forming a hole. Our canopy hinge is SS and continuous and does not protrude from the front of the plane - Great, but as with all things, not so great. I just had to form a tube through the IP cover to allow removal and insertion of the hinge pin. PIA nitpickey stuff - stage one is done forming the hole which is about 3" inches long on the outside of the plane. Step two will be later when i figure out how to make a cover plate for it. I also made a trough on both longerons and glassed the trough to the rear canopy drainage channel - did it with out a form - i think it probably sucks and will be cut out and redone with a form.

parts is parts is parts - little ones and great big ones, makin parts
dust

Old 11-16-2005, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust
Quiet plane day - just thane and I - tom off to a football game and clifford off in Maine looking at a piece of dirt.
Gremlins showed up at the shop when I was away! All the parts and tools I had organized and arranged on both my strakes are gone!! Not only that,,,there was a large sign posted on one of my strake's, "NOT A SHELF". Then I find all my nicely organized parts and tools are now strewn about the shop countertop!! I got's some work ahead of me to get things back to normal before next plane day.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clifford
"NOT A SHELF".
you forgot a word - a slide heh heh heh - every-time we sand something on the plane - all the stuff on the strake vibrates off onto the floor.
dust

Old 11-27-2005, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

plane day was just plane picky little plane things. mees, thane, Clifford and Tom were here/there. tom worked on making the first canard cover and we fours redesigned the canard cover to be removable and be part of the access panel and it will be a PIA to figure out. will keep yous informed as the progress continues, that is if i remember to call michigan fiberglass in the morning to get the pour foam that we are going to use to form the darn ting - ran out. Den he made the firewall cover and we found out what happens when you make the windows bigger - you gets a smaller compartment there to mount stuff - hope we don't run out of room.

thane worked on installing two 3/4 inch hinges on two adjustable naca vent scoops - we have changed from the plans two, one each side, to 1 in the nose bottom that has an adjustable floor plate - pics when we remember to take em

i worked on re-faring the jugunga fuel sumps - slow progress as we ran out of pour foam. and nit picky drainage channel fixes

clifford put the last of twenty sets of hard points in his forward opening canopy - (don't worry - it won't be too heave - he removed the prior 19 sets. looks like he has it now - the audi trunk hinges are really lookin good

all in all it was a good plane day - progress made
dust

Old 11-28-2005, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust

clifford put the last of twenty sets of hard points in his forward opening canopy - (don't worry - it won't be too heave - he removed the prior 19 sets. looks like he has it now - the audi trunk hinges are really lookin good

all in all it was a good plane day - progress made
I am almost caught up with Dust and Thane's plane now!! I put al least 15 hours in the shop during the week between "plane days" A visiting "slave" showed up Monday and helped me out on a major layup installing hardpoints for the hinges in the canopy. I should of been able to put in more time as I took the week off work,,,,,,but Thanksgiving got in the way. After hacking the front of my canopy off THREE TIMES with a circular saw and rebuilding it,,,,THE AUDI HINGES WORK!!!! I stayed out in the shop after the boys left today and did some work on the retract mechanism for the step. That too is going to work.. Overall,,,,,its been a VERY GOOD week at our little "plane factory".
Old 11-28-2005, 07:47 AM
Finally at Chapter 4!

I can't wait to see that trunk, err canopy, pop open.

Just gotta get that roof shingled first!
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
Old 12-06-2005, 12:17 AM

Last Saturday,,,,Me, Dust and Thane only. I worked on retractable step, Thane on Their planes canard cover, and Dust on fairing in the sumps. First photo is of the PVC form Dust came up with to build the rear drip moulding for the canopy, PVC electrical conduit. Next is the rear drip mold,,,, You can see the channels which will divert any rain water out and across the strakes, instead of dumping it in the plane. Last is the front canopy drip mold with small sumps which will accumulate water and drain it through tubing outside the plane. Last is the new and improved canard cover being formed to shape. We have decided to go with a one piece cover that will extend forward and also cover the nose access area. My retractable step is installed on pilots side and I will post some pics when it is complete and attatched to the passenger side step. Overal,,,, a productive day!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0011.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	656.3 KB
ID:	1611  Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0010.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	670.9 KB
ID:	1612  Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0012.JPG
Views:	62