Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > Shop Tips, Methods and Equipment
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Default Scratching aluminum for adhesion

Well, i used to scratch aluminum with 36 grit paper for adhesion.

No longer cause it simply does not work! How do i know this - i've pulled a number out, easily

Not only does it not work, it focusses failure points.

Now i just take my hole punch and pop some holes for the flox to go through, simple mechanical locking in of the hard point and i believe it probably does not weaken the material as much.

if the material is thicker than a hole punch, i just drill a few holes
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 04-28-2008, 10:41 AM
G.Norman

Default Re: Scratching aluminum for adhesion

Rutan plans do not specify 36 grit. They say 200 grit. Probably less chance for cracking eh? Nevertheless, I had to remake the hard points on my wings. I popped off the original Jeff Russel's with a putty knife.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

look closer and you will see a variety of 36 grit places that are recommended.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 04-26-2010, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

I've gone one step further, i now drill the hole and countersink it. Makes a flox "screw"
dust