Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2006, 02:40 AM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWrightNZ View Post
What performance hit do you get with the carb heat on, at 15" boost, while on approach ? Why was the carb heat not turned off over the threshold, like it should have been ? CCUP ?

what am I not understanding ?

S
At the point you forget it is on, or you execute a go around cause of a runway incursion before you get to the point of turning it off (ever have that happen before?) it becomes a major performace limiter when you really need to have everything you can get. Especially when you are in situations where it is not needed.

Then you add in the fact that on an 80-90 degree day you are already much richer than you need to be at full rich. When you add carb heat to that you are beyond really rich. So at 15" you are fouling your plugs and washing your cylinders with gas something feirce. This might be a non-issue, or it may become a real issue if your plugs get really fouled.

And the Cessna 150 checklists say to turn it off after landing, not when you cross the numbers.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:24 PM
w/ Spinner and Paddlefoot

Talking Dusty Auto-Plane...

I'll add:
1. Seat catapult for easy exiting.
2. Catheter and "Depends" for when you gotta go or when the autopilot hiccups and scares the livin' _ _ _ out of you!
3. Auto tune radios that are coupled to the GPS and automatically tune the correct frequency with pre-recorded digital prompts to tell you what to say and a switch to allow the recording to do the talking.
4. "See and avoid" pixel recognition software coupled to the autopilot using high-def cameras...
5. An "EASY" button for letting the airplane land itself during crosswind landings.
6. A indicator for passengers, deploying a plastic sack to avoid cabin barf slingage...

NEXT!
Plans #618, a tub, and everything I need to go to chapter 11 except: TIME! and a cold beer

"I'll do the "thinnin'" around here, Bobba Looey" ! - Quicksdraw McGraw
Old 10-28-2006, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade View Post
[*] Waas powered auto-pilot automated landing system
clutch - wouldn't this be enough, why the special cross wind program?
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 10-28-2006, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC View Post
At the point you forget it is on, or you execute a go around cause of a runway incursion before you get to the point of turning it off (ever have that happen before?) it becomes a major performace limiter when you really need to have everything you can get. Especially when you are in situations where it is not needed.
If you train yourself into always turning carb heat off when you got to full power this point is moot. It becomes an instinctive thing. What's worse is when you fly somewhere where you have to use carb heat and then have a go round and forget to turn it off because its not part of your routine.

I was taught to turn carb heat on whenever RPMs fall below 1700 and off whenever above 1700. After doing this hundreds of times its now second nature.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:44 AM
w/ Spinner and Paddlefoot

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
clutch - wouldn't this be enough, why the special cross wind program?
For crosswind components beyond the capability of "Iron George" and the *ahem* - other guy....
Plans #618, a tub, and everything I need to go to chapter 11 except: TIME! and a cold beer

"I'll do the "thinnin'" around here, Bobba Looey" ! - Quicksdraw McGraw
Old 10-29-2006, 12:11 PM
Finally at Chapter 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC View Post
For a go-'round:

Flaps up
Carb-heat off
Full power

(Not necessarily in that order)
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
Old 10-29-2006, 12:38 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
Seat catapult for easy exiting
As they said in the RAF, put you're faith in God, you're mother and Martin-Baker, but not necessarily in that order. See http://www.martin-baker.com/

You might be able to pick up a used one of these on Ebay and rig it with some big fireworks.

Quote:
how bout my car - it would be nice ifin it would drive me to the airport.
If you can get it set up to drive you to the airport, why not program it to drive you to the destination airport, and save yourself all this trouble.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:23 PM
G.Norman

How about going the other way? Forget dual magnetos. That's extra weight. Forget starter. Hand propping is fine. Fuel gages only tell you false info. Remove them and use the stick method. Trim is for wussies too.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

I've said it before, I am into aviation as much as i am into cars, trucks, computers, tools.

cars take me places
trucks take me places with stuff
computers make me money and introduce me to friends from around the globe
Tools allow me to make things.

on my cars and trucks, anti lock brakes, air bags, cruise control - all a must
computers, Macs - they just work
Professional grade tools - they just work - lesser tools don't

On my plane and its systems, i just want em to work well to get me to where I am goin. After the test flyin, that could take 40, but for my purposes, probable 150 hours to feel comfy with the systems, it will just be another vehicle that takes me places, will not go out for joy rides, will just go places.

if an auto fly system could be put in for a reasonable amount of money - it would go in
if a whole plane parachute was a reasonable option - it would go in
the auto extend nose gear is in
at least one autopilot will be in
at lease 2 gps's will be in
two electrical systems
two radios
two vor's
two glass panels
two fuel pumps
constant speed prop
automatic turbo control
automatic leaning
no ballast or too much ballast warning light
Warning bells, whistles, voices just simply do not work.

in fact, we are trained to ignore them, during flight - oh no - stall warning, during landing - oh just ignore the beeping.

Carbs kill people all the time, you have to remembers KILL you in aviation.

If we want GA to become big again - the planes must be user friendly for drivers, not just aviators, we need to get rid of "you gotta remember"
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 10-31-2006, 02:53 PM

(deleted....sorry.)
Wayne Hicks, Cozy Plans #678
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages...cks/index.html
Old 10-31-2006, 04:59 PM
builder wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
[...] we need to get rid of "you gotta remember"
I agree. GA has this fixation on "more complex = bigger penis", when quite frankly, I would rather be looking out the window and enjoying the experience, than struggling against an airplane that was seemingly doing everything in its' power to outwit me.

However, "each to their own" comes to play here, and I am a rabid advocate for the idea that we must each choose what we want from life. For myself, I want an aircraft simple and automated, provided it does not blank its panels, ignore its switches, and turn into a coffin-ride-to-the-ground with all options removed should the simplest thing go wrong. And therein lies the struggle - how to have what we want with no consequences. sigh.

S
Old 10-31-2006, 05:05 PM

if an auto fly system could be put in for a reasonable amount of money - it would go in................................................ .................................................. ..............5-10lbs
if a whole plane parachute was a reasonable option - it would go in.........................20 lbs
the auto extend nose gear is in................................................ ...................... .3oz.
at least one autopilot will be in........................auto fly systems
at lease 2 gps's will be in................................................ ..................................2 lbs
two electrical systems........................................... ..........................................10 lbs
two radios............................................ .................................................. ........3 lbs
two vor's............................................. .................................................. .........2 lbs
two glass panels............................................ .................................................1 0 lbs
two fuel pumps............................................. .................................................. ..3 lbs
constant speed prop.............................................. ...........................................25 lbs
automatic turbo control........................................... ...........................................2 lbs
automatic leaning........................................... .................................................. .2 lbs
no ballast or too much ballast warning light............................................. ...............5 oz
Warning bells, whistles, voices just simply do not work........................................... .5 oz ea

KISS

With all that you would be too comfortable, fall asleep and set down in Denver, backwards. (while going to Florida )

Couldn't resist Dust
Old 10-31-2006, 06:06 PM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glos View Post
With all that you would be too comfortable, fall asleep and set down in Denver, backwards. (while going to Florida )
I want a Boomerang type fuse then where the rear seats fold down so i can go to sleep