Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Plane Specific Questions Tips, Tricks Area for All Canard Kits and Plans Planes > Long EZ Specific Q&A
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2007, 06:55 PM
Got Foam?

Default Re: N200LZ: Chapter 7 - Rudder Conduit

Well, I made my templates to guide what areas of the curved portion of the fuselage I need to cut out. To do this I created a my male mold of the strake from BL10 to BL23. Then I cut off the curve of the fuselage from the BL10 side.
I moved my template (for the curve of the fuse) back 4 inches (to match the foam billet I started with for the curved fuselage) and cut off another slice.

That gave me the profile for inside and outside of the curved blue foam I'm adding. I reassembled the waste foam to the curved blue sidewall to get back to the original billet dimensions. Put my new template on either side and ended up with the perfect contour to match my strakes.

The attached photo shows the strake tank mold (pink foam) mated to the cueved sidewall (Blue Foam.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003_1_1.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	437.1 KB
ID:	3913  
We add rocket's to everything!
Old 07-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Got Foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMann View Post
I know someone out there is going to ask about weight so here's what I have so far.
Currently I added 9.48 lbs.
I won't have a final figure until I cut out the piece for the strakes. I'll weigh that and subtract it out and will post the final figure at that time.
I just weighed my cutouts for the strakes. 3.63 lbs so the net weight of the mod (not counting what I'm taking out for shaping and before applying all rebates ) will be 5.85 lbs.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:36 PM
Got Foam?

The final contouring of the fuse is going real good. I have not had to do much through most of the mid section. Most of my shaping has been done at the fore and aft 2 feet or so.
I'll be adding my antennas later in the week and glass the exterior this weekend. That should wrap up chapter 7 for me
Old 07-25-2007, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

That is a WHOLE lot of room that you cannot use with the rounded sides, i would hollow them out and make it usable!

looks like 5 or 6 inches of more room that you could gain for your buttox
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 07-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Got Foam?

Actually the area is currently channeled fore & aft to allow for my electrical, hydraulic etc.
As far as needing extra room for my buttocks?

This is the scope of my mod that I was willing to devote time to. I spoke with one builder who did a similar mod and then after the outside was skinned, he cut into the glass from the inside to make more room. I don't plan on doing that. I planning on wrapping up this chapter and moving on to chapter 8. It would be nice if I could finish both 7 & 8 this month before my next EAA Chapter meeting.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Actually the area is currently channeled fore & aft to allow for my electrical, hydraulic etc.
what u running, 3" hydraulic lines and #02 lines for all electrical!
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 07-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Got Foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
what u running, 3" hydraulic lines and #02 lines for all electrical!
...... anything I want!
I may even use it for vents.

Actually the large diameter channels are 2 inches in diameter.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:07 PM

Burt made it easy to see and find all parts in are bird,and if you start hiding thing behind things you will need a saw to do a pre-fight or just ASSUME alls well. you can make a costum arm rest to cover the inner fuzs
and yet allwas be able to acess it later. with the plus of more wiggal room.
good for resale and the part i like is some can do as you are doing.
my vote..........cut the inner out !
Old 07-26-2007, 09:16 AM
G.Norman

I have the CG strakes and really appreciate the extra few inches elbow room. Get out the saw TM.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Got Foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverquit View Post
I have the CG strakes and really appreciate the extra few inches elbow room. Get out the saw TM.
My strakes stop about 2 inches from the instrument panel and are 9.6inches tall at the fuse. I don't know how they would compare to the CG's version.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:09 AM

I think the whole concept is brilliant.

As to hollow out vs leave in the as shown, I think I would need to understand how you plan to put on the outer skin. If you are going to glass up in the conventional way and then put on your modification as a veneer then you can hollow out the inside. The structure will already be a "known"

If you are planing to use this foam bonded over the diviynal cell and then glass over everything, then the original strength will be somewhat different and more of an unknown.

This would be especially important around the canard and the main spar box.

Think about it this way. The sandwitch directly below the canard was 1" of diviynal cell foam with glass on the inside and the outside. With the rounded foam bonded to the outside, the outer skin glass would esentially be over a weaker foam than the plans called for.

If it's simply a veneer then it doesn't matter.

Anyhow it's a great idea.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:56 PM
Got Foam?

Coming in the home stretch on chapter 7! Got my sight gauges sanded to shap.e. Still doing some contouring and filling. I got my antennas installed yesterday. I'd show pictures of the antenna but the way I did them, you can't see the copper. I slit the foam with the fein multimaster ( and I gotta believe this shave 50% off of my sanding/cutting time) an then slipped the copper (still on the backing) into the cut. That way as the airframe flexes, the copper won't break (plus there is less fill involved.)

Right now I'm looking at the feasability of vacuum bagging the exterior skin. I believe it can be done so I'll post pics as I give it a shot.

I'm really liking the way the fuse is shaping up!
Old 07-31-2007, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I slit the foam with the fein multimaster ( and I gotta believe this shave 50% off of my sanding/cutting time) an then slipped the copper (still on the backing) into the cut.
nice solution!, but i will not use it in my vert stab as my copper is 3/4 inch wide
dust

Old 07-31-2007, 11:09 AM
Got Foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
nice solution!, but i will not use it in my vert stab as my copper is 3/4 inch wide
In order to do this in the fuse bottom without going att the way through, I slit the foam at a shallow angle.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I slit the foam with the fein multimaster ( and I gotta believe this shave 50% off of my sanding/cutting time) an then slipped the copper (still on the backing) into the cut. That way as the airframe flexes, the copper won't break (plus there is less fill involved.)
NICE!