Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Plane Specific Questions Tips, Tricks Area for All Canard Kits and Plans Planes > Long EZ Specific Q&A
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2007, 11:20 AM
Got Foam?

Default N200LZ: Landing Brake

I am planning on using an actuator on my landing brake. Now my concern is this: I don't want the actuator coming through my back during a 'gear up' or 'off field' landing while the brake is deployed.
I have read various approaches to this:
A.Cut part way through the connecting point tabs on the back of the seat.
B.Lay up some Kevlar on the back of the pilot's seat.

I like both options but I feel option 'A' involves too much guess work so I'm thinking about doing this:
Use opion 'B' to add some protection to the back of the seat and use a shear-pin type bolt at the connection between the back of the seat and the actuator. They use these a lot on snow blowers and they are readily available.

Any opinions on the subject?
We add rocket's to everything!
Old 08-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Rich

Default Re: N200LZ: Landing Brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMann View Post
I am planning on using an actuator on my landing brake. Now my concern is this: I don't want the actuator coming through my back during a 'gear up' or 'off field' landing while the brake is deployed.
I have read various approaches to this:
A.Cut part way through the connecting point tabs on the back of the seat.
B.Lay up some Kevlar on the back of the pilot's seat.

I like both options but I feel option 'A' involves too much guess work so I'm thinking about doing this:
Use opion 'B' to add some protection to the back of the seat and use a shear-pin type bolt at the connection between the back of the seat and the actuator. They use these a lot on snow blowers and they are readily available.

Any opinions on the subject?

Yes,

Mount the actuator to the seatback brace and it will probably break away harmlessly. Another thing to consider is that, assuming that you don't have retractable mains, if you hit with a force adequate to break both mains, you probably have more to worry about than an actuator out of place. One remaining gear leg will probably protect you.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Got Foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by argoldman View Post
Yes,
Mount the actuator to the seatback brace and it will probably break away harmlessly.
Probably and should don't factor in here. That is why I am looking at a shear pin installation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by argoldman View Post
Another thing to consider is that, assuming that you don't have retractable mains, if you hit with a force adequate to break both mains, you probably have more to worry about than an actuator out of place. One remaining gear leg will probably protect you.
I do have reatractable mains and the subject matter I am addressing is a situation where the landing is made with the landing brake deployed and the gear retracted. Because this is a Long-EZ the hardpoint will be in my back.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMann View Post
Probably and should don't factor in here. That is why I am looking at a shear pin installation.
Lessee...
If you don't use a shear pin,If you connect it to the seat back with the connector to the seat back being weaker (sacrificial) when it breaks, the actuator will ride up the back of the seat and (should) not endanger you. If you mount it on the back support a similar thing will happen. If you use a shear pin, the same thing will happen. To make things more "sure" spring load the actuator so that when the shear pin or mounting breaks, it will harmlessly rotate backwards saving your spine. The person in the right back seat may have an other opinion, however. To correct this, construct a mechanism by which when the top end becomes disengaged, no matter the method, that it will be guided upward and backward, parallel to the seat back and out of harms, spines,knees&thighs way
Old 08-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Got Foam?

I kicked this idea around over the weekend and came up with a sort of pro/con approach.

Con - It could be that the shear pin would be too weak and break during normal deployment.
Pro - if that does occur, I can substitute another bolt of greater strength.

Pro - If I should have a gear up landing (whether intentional or not) I only need to replace the shear pin.
Con - If I have a gear up landing, I'll be in the shop for a while anyway
Old 08-14-2007, 01:08 AM

This got me thinking(everyone duck!). Anyhow, I don't plan on using retracts myself, but if you were to install retracts, wouldn't one provide for a warning if the speed brake were deployed with the gear down?
Old 08-14-2007, 01:58 AM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfryer View Post
This got me thinking(everyone duck!). Anyhow, I don't plan on using retracts myself, but if you were to install retracts, wouldn't one provide for a warning if the speed brake were deployed with the gear down?
Speed brake down with the gear up? With other planes I have flown with speedbrakes, they make enough noise/rumbling in the airframe that it is kinda hard to miss the fact that it is down... however I have never flown an EZ.

Plus I can think of a few circumstances where you would want it out while the gear was up... and I'd rather not have a horn blaring because of it
Old 08-14-2007, 12:03 PM
EVOLUTION EZE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC View Post
Speed brake down with the gear up? With other planes I have flown with speedbrakes, they make enough noise/rumbling in the airframe that it is kinda hard to miss the fact that it is down... however I have never flown an EZ.

Plus I can think of a few circumstances where you would want it out while the gear was up... and I'd rather not have a horn blaring because of it
In an eze the speed brake does not make any noise or rumbling, don't know it is down except for greater sink rate. you may not want a horn on the the brake as it would be on during landing and taxing. the brake can be used during landing with retracts but is almost not needed as the retracts cause so much drag that when you add the speed brake it does not add much to the sink rate. the brake can be used to burn off altitude before the gear comes out and this is not a time for a horn blaring if the retracts do not deploy for landing there could be a situation when the brake would be used for landing.

Lynn Erickson A&P for lets say almost 30 years
Much better with a Dremel than a computer.
What if they gave me choice between a fast computer or a fast plane?
Old 08-14-2007, 11:06 PM

Perhaps I misspoke. The suggestion was to have the warning only if the speed brake was deployed with the gear up.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:32 PM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfryer View Post
Perhaps I misspoke. The suggestion was to have the warning only if the speed brake was deployed with the gear up.
Speedbrakes are great for coming down from altitude while not pulling power. Or for when ATC gives you the 10 mile 18k feet jet arrival. I can honestly think of more times that I'd want it out without being annoyed by an alarm than situations where I'd forget it was down. Maybe a light indicating that it is down (ala ice vanes on a KingAir)... but no buzzer or anything for me.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:58 PM

Roger that, just a thought...