Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Plane Specific Questions Tips, Tricks Area for All Canard Kits and Plans Planes > Long EZ Specific Q&A
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2007, 07:41 PM
Rich

Default Re: N200LZ: Chapter 18 - Canopy Hinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by satch View Post
2000+ hours later and nothing I've ever flown (well, that didn't have a door ) had a forward opening canopy. Admitedly not a builder (yet) but to my way of thinking, forward opening completely eliminates your options. I wonder if the disasterous consequences of side opening canopies opening in flight are a result of the fact that they open sideways .... planes fly reasonably well, most times with canopy gone ... a bit noisely, perahps, but still flying.

Satch,

If you are concerned about bailout, you can easily replace the hinge bolts with pull pins and a cable mechanism for their extraction.

Actually, all single engine aircraft of the commercial persuasion, today, that have closed cabins, indeed only have forward opening canopy's. They are called doors,( mounted on the sides) and all are hinged in the front. When Cessna made the aerobat (aerobatic 150) they had a pull pin affair to jettison the door. I believe Beech followed that same concept with their aerobatic Debonair.

My guess is that if you really wanted to depart the aircraft, carrying a canopy breaker (a small pointed hammer) would be the ticket. Break the canopy in the middle, let the air stream shatter it and blow it into the prop. The same canopy breaker can be used if you need to extract yourself from an inverted craft.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:47 PM

Here's my preference .... link ... Got far too many hour to count with my a$$ strapped to one of these. Think'd fit in a Long or a Berkut?
Old 08-31-2007, 08:11 PM
Donald James Rise Jr

One question.
How do you keep the plane from tipping UP when you try to escape?
With no pilot weight. I would think the plane would have a severe aft CG problem.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:02 PM
Got Foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseguy View Post
One question.
How do you keep the plane from tipping UP when you try to escape?
With no pilot weight. I would think the plane would have a severe aft CG problem.
It's a bit hard to explain all of the physics involved. Keep in mind that you are traveling in the same direction and speed of the plane when you depart. Also (from experience) something happens to the whole time thing. Everything slows down and a second lasts a long long time.

I have read where you could have a disasterous result from something as simple as losing a prop blade. The unbalanced prop can shake so violently that the entire engine can be torn from the plane. Try landing that CG situation.

Too much attention seems to be directed at the accidental opening of the canopy. That can be resolved with check lists and micro switches. I have a full set of Berkut drawings that I refer to throughout my build. Unfortunatly, in some intances, parts will become an issue.
We add rocket's to everything!
Old 08-31-2007, 10:02 PM
Donald James Rise Jr

It's a bit hard to explain all of the physics involved. Keep in mind that you are traveling in the same direction and speed of the plane when you depart. Also (from experience) something happens to the whole time thing. Everything slows down and a second lasts a long long time.

Been their, done that.

I have read where you could have a disasterous result from something as simple as losing a prop blade. The unbalanced prop can shake so violently that the entire engine can be torn from the plane. Try landing that CG situation.

Have you done that? WOW!!!

Too much attention seems to be directed at the accidental opening of the canopy. That can be resolved with check lists and micro switches. I have a full set of Berkut drawings that I refer to throughout my build. Unfortunatly, in some intances, parts will become an issue.

I think Berkut's are the cat's a$$. I wish they would have come out sooner. I would have built one of them instead of two Long-EZs.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:32 PM
EVOLUTION EZE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMann View Post
If more attention had been paid to this situation we would not keep having this happen and a few of our canard freinds would still be with us. the berkut that lost the canopy had switches and a check list and even the safety catch which was ripped off. there are many ezs that it has happened to dispite the warning systems. the secondary safety catch has been the best device to prevent it from opening in flight. so far no device exists to prevent us from forgetting 100% of the time. the forward hinge canopy does not need a warning system and can even survive during the most severe brain fart.

Lynn Erickson A&P for lets say almost 30 years
Much better with a Dremel than a computer.
What if they gave me choice between a fast computer or a fast plane?
Old 08-31-2007, 11:46 PM
Got Foam?

............ So I'm guessing nobody has any feedback on where I might find this hinge.

I'll let you know what I come up with.

Wow .......... did I remember to lower my gear?
Old 09-01-2007, 03:32 PM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Quote:
............ So I'm guessing nobody has any feedback on where I might find this hinge.

I'll let you know what I come up with.

Wow .......... did I remember to lower my gear?

You will be hard pressed to find the hinge... I believe it was Richard Riley that was telling me he had to have some custom made a few years back cause he couldnt find them.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Got Foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC View Post
You will be hard pressed to find the hinge... I believe it was Richard Riley that was telling me he had to have some custom made a few years back cause he couldnt find them.
Yeah ...... i talked with Richard offline about this. I've email the current Berkut owners and have not received a response so far.

Not an impossible task .......... just not real EZ, that's all.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:27 AM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Quote:
Yeah ...... i talked with Richard offline about this. I've email the current Berkut owners and have not received a response so far.

Not an impossible task .......... just not real EZ, that's all.
I'd almost be tempted to make a form of how it needs to be shaped and lay it up out of carbon fiber. While you are at it, make some hidden belhorns out of it too.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:39 AM

Having had a canopy open in flight, I'd go forward hinged next time. I'd also include the warning lights and buzzer.
Wayne Hicks, Cozy Plans #678
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages...cks/index.html
Old 09-05-2007, 12:00 AM
Ray V.

Quote:
Oh for the love of god, it’s the 22nd post and not a single person has even attempted to answer his question. This thread reminds me why I don’t visit this message board very often. I can actually hear my mother’s voice “John Denver DIED IN A LONG-EZ!!!” Now check all reason at the door, because this discussion is not about aircraft construction, it’s about me not letting you get a word in while I repeat the words “John Freakin’ Denver DIED IN A LONG-EZ.” Don’t get me wrong. Nothing is more intriguing than hearing calls for help rebutted with the flatulent of overly self important individuals.

T-Mann. I’ve personally installed the Berkut style hinges on my Long-Ez project. Contact me offline and I’ll give you some direction, I think it should be fairly easy to construct the hinges yourself.

That said, I’ll sound like a broken record and say that I completely agree with everyone who’s warned you against it. Firstly, your GIB will feel like he/she’s riding in a tube. The length of the mid section is considerably longer than I prefer due to the depth required to seat the hinge. Also, I can’t look at the thing without contemplating a seriously undesirable failure mode. If I weren’t so damn lazy, I’d eliminate these downfalls and change it to forward opening.

Now can we please get back to this board’s purpose and discuss why a kitten dies every time a politician suggests leaving Iraq?
Old 09-05-2007, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutanfan View Post
T-Mann. I’ve personally installed the Berkut style hinges on my Long-Ez project. Contact me offline and I’ll give you some direction, I think it should be fairly easy to construct the hinges yourself.

Now can we please get back to this board’s purpose and discuss why a kitten dies every time a politician suggests leaving Iraq?
I enjoy reading community the posts so that I can learn from others, it would be nice if you could share your info with the rest of us, but I am sure you have your reasons for sending our contribution via e-mail, oh well.

as to the kitten, you are I think mistaken.......here is the real reason
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:God-kills-kitten.jpg
Old 09-05-2007, 12:50 AM
Got Foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutanfan View Post
“John Freakin’ Denver DIED IN A LONG-EZ.”
Was his plane a rear hinged canopy?

Actually, I'm building my own. I'll post my design for you suicidal idiots out there!
Old 09-05-2007, 01:21 AM
MarkIV N513DP Cozy540Xtra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfryer View Post

as to the kitten, you are I think mistaken.......here is the real reason
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:God-kills-kitten.jpg
What the Heck?
Oh Pleeeease. Tasteless.

..And here I thought it was a monkey, all this time.
Should ask John- he's the one flying' a purple kitten.

Via an out of the country grapevine I heard you were considering a FHC TmaNN...now you are working on the back-end instead?