Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Safety > Accident Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2005, 03:17 PM

My plane was built in Canada by Scott Keigan. He installed a 5 lb Halon tank in the nose and piped it to the engine compartment. He/I have 2 fine warning indicators ... he ran 2 circuits in the engine bay with a "possible fire" low temp fuse and a "probable fire" high temp fuse. No way to shut off the air ducts, so not sure how well it will work, but I have to admit to being much more comfortable with it on board (plus a hand held halon in the cabin). I've always figured I'd pull it all the way down to a canard bobble, then pull the pin. Makes working in the nose compartment a bit difficult, but I like the insurance.
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy
Fires in aircraft give me the willies. I think after this accident I'm going to install a fire suppression system. I worry cruising way up high having a fire. No way you are going to get it on the ground in time if you can't put it out.

We run these in race cars with a nozzle in the cockpit and one in the engine bay. Mandated in most forms of racing now.

http://www.spectorracing.com/customer/home.php?cat=366

http://www.interlinksolutions.com/aero.htm

http://www.trackfireracing.com/
Old 07-31-2005, 04:32 PM
LongEZ-RG

We retrofitted all of our Halon installations (Diesel Electric Generating plant) to CO2. (dump 20,000 gallons of this stuff into the generator building in 90 seconds)

I'm not the expert, but its my understanding that when Halon burns, it puts out some very toxic gases. This may not be a issue in your installation, as it normally takes a sustained fire, and several minutes of exposure to reach the toxic levels. You may want to read up on this a little more before pulling the pin.

What may effect you more is the ability to charge/recharge your bottle. I think Halon is going the path of R-12 and several other refrigerants. These materials are being banned from production withinin the next couple years.

Waiter
Old 07-31-2005, 04:49 PM
Nathan Gifford

Yes Halon is toxic above a certain temperature. However, unless I remember incorrectly, I think you need the Halon in an enclosed area.
Better Still --> Chapter 9
Old 08-16-2005, 09:22 AM

Default Engine compartment fire detection

There's some interesting discussion about engine compartment fire detection systems on the Aeroelectric list,several feasible proposals have been presented

http://www.matronics.com/digest/aero...2005-08-15.txt
Old 09-23-2005, 02:47 PM

I finally received a reply to my request for information on the Glenn Saunders crash from the TSB here. They promise to forward a copy of the investigation to me when finished. They will not draw conclusions as to the the cause, only publish findings on the data collected. Like so many homebuilt crashes, they don't rate up there with something like the Air France accident in importance.

I'm sure that Glenn's family and friends considered him important.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:26 PM

Default No TSB Report

I was contacted by the Canadian TSB (our NTSB) last week about the Glenn Saunders crash. They say they only gathered facts but will not publish a full report or cause on the crash. Very disappointing. From what I can determine, an inflight fire may have been caused by an exhaust system failure. For you turbo guys, inspect for cracks often.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutanfan View Post
Slade. That’s horrible!

914 and an IVO prop. He’s based in Fort Lauderdale Florida. I’m certain that his name is ‘Saunders’ and not ‘Sounders.’ Is this the same person?
It is a tragedy to lose someone. Makes me want to call and/or hug my whole family. I am interested in how the failure occurred.

I take it that Canada isn't going to release any info on what they found?

I'm not familar with ["914" bold emphasis is mine].

what engine is this?

thanks,

John
Old 11-13-2006, 08:00 PM

Rotax
Old 11-13-2006, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi Khu View Post
Rotax
ahhh... ty...

I should have realized....

it hit me when I was reading about a 912 at another forum just now and I came back here to answer my own question.

thanks for the help,

John
Old 11-13-2006, 11:49 PM
Buly

Default Glenn Saunders

Here is Glenn on the day he took my wife on her first canard ride. Very nice guy, always smiling and ready to help. We all miss him every day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Glenn1.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	3034  
Old 11-14-2006, 01:22 AM

I was told that only accidents that are in the public interest are fully investigated and reports published on. I think we can learn from ALL accidents and it seems very callous to just sweep up the pieces and forget about it. Everyone is important, not just Air France heavies sliding off the end of runways. Why bother even sending out investigators if this is all they will be doing?

Buly, thanks for posting the photo of Glenn. Gone but not forgotten.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:57 AM

Kinda seems fitting to have a 'noiseless' place in the online world where a pic and a little write-up could be posted of those who aren't around anymore.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt View Post
Kinda seems fitting to have a 'noiseless' place in the online world where a pic and a little write-up could be posted of those who aren't around anymore.
I was thinking along the same lines. Dust, what do you think about a section for our fallen comrades here? Friends and family could contribute their stories. It would be a lasting tribute so that they are not forgotten.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

It would have to be moderated to keep it in good taste, ima tinkin
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 11-14-2006, 01:23 PM

I was just typing out loud. What I had in mind was a web location that was, for missing canardists, commonly visited by canardists of all canard factions, tribes, gangs. Neutral territory. A place like ez.org