Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > FLYING INFO AND STORIES > Pre Canard Flying Flying Stories and Questions
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2006, 02:04 AM
Falcon

Default Oh Man, She Flies!

My wife, that is.

This was a typical day at the airpark. We did some maintenance on the plane, then went down hanger row to a friend's hanger/studio apartment to help out, and enjoy the country air. We were helping him get ready for a powerpoint presentation on power-off landings, when the phone rang. It was Gary. He'd flown by in his ultralight a couple of times and noticed us in the hanger, working. He thought it'd be fun to pull the Pelican out and fly it, so the invitation was on the table. Do you wanna go flying?

Of course.

I wanted to try out a new moving map GPS system, I'd cobbled together from eBay parts and a tiny little bluetooth GPS receiver, so this was the perfect opportunity. Off we went. We flew out toward the lake, found the spillway, and saw the most dramatic cliff faces I think I've ever seen. Gary's plane, the Pelican, is a dream. It seats two, and pulls through the air, with ease, on 100 horses, courtesy of a Subaru EA-81 engine -- the same engine package we have in our plane. The air was calm, the plane so stable it could fly hands off. And so we did. I set about playing with the GPS and marvelling at the sights, while Gary watched to make sure I didn't do something stupid. In short order, I found our house, turned north, and put us in the pattern for the airpark.

But didn't I say this was her time in the sun?

I did. We landed, and I just prattled on about how nice the plane was. I described the flight, and the dramatic success with the GPS, and... "Oh, heck", Gary said, "Let's just go see for ourselves." She climbed in, and they were off.

5.1MB Movie

This being her third time in the air, I expected she would be a little timid. I was wrong. Gary set out west toward the lake, trimmed up the plane, and said, "See, it flies itself. Want to take the stick?" She did.

Gary talked her through some clearing turns to check for traffic, and then some standard rate turns. They found an irrigation circle, and she tried her hand at turns about a point. That done, she looked at the ground, got her bearings, and flew Gary over the house. They turned north, found the airpark, and entered the pattern on the 45, turned downwind and took the plane all the way to the base leg. She finally decided maybe Gary should take the stick, now. "Heck, you were doing fine", he said, "I thought you were going to land it."

Back on the ground, my wife beamed, and Gary noted she's a natural -- she held her altitude through the turns and flew like she knew what she was doing. Pretty sweet for the first time at the controls.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:49 PM
LongEZ wannabe since 1982

very cool!

I've had my wife up just once since I got my license -- which she did totally enjoy -- but she had the paranoid fear of the door popping open and her falling out.

I have NO projection as to how long it will be before I could coax her into even touching the controls...

73 total flight hours and counting -- now licensed to get myself into trouble, er, I mean, licensed to learn!
Old 11-20-2006, 03:05 PM
slightly crazy

sounds very cool, but ... cant get the video to download ... just nothing at all happens when i click
Old 11-20-2006, 03:57 PM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstrom View Post
I've had my wife up just once since I got my license -- which she did totally enjoy -- but she had the paranoid fear of the door popping open and her falling out.
You can tell her that it may pop open... but on a Cessna there is no way you will fall out. I had one on a C210 pop open at 21k feet on me. I tried pushing out on it to get the air to help it slam shut, but that was a no-go.... too big of a surface area and too much air. We ended up just leaving it partially open til we landed. Didnt hurt anything, just a bit loud.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:25 PM
Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
sounds very cool, but ... cant get the video to download ... just nothing at all happens when i click
It's working for me, so I consider myself lucky. Try right-clicking the link and selecting 'download', or 'save' link.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:01 AM
slightly crazy

tried it all, wont do nothin. even tried going throu DAP, "resource not found". anybody else have probs wit this ?
Old 11-21-2006, 04:49 PM
w/ Spinner and Paddlefoot

Talking not in my sky you don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC View Post
You can tell her............................................... . that it may pop open....
You can tell her.... anything but most women will cling to their fears in the face of logic and common sense, especially whilst defying gravity in some gizmo they don't trust.
Personally, I hope my wife never decides to become a pilot. She drives like most people drive during rush hour in Miami, even when it's not. I can't imagine what she would do with no bumps on the side of the road to tell her she is off the road and nothing in front of her to slow her down and no other drivers to honk at her to let her know she is in their lane and last, but not least, she would never give the controller a second chance or a word in edgewise if he tried to tell her what to do. She also has become enemies with gravity for all the things it's doing to her and I don't want to be with her if and when she decides to get even! So, I am discouraging her from such aspirations.
Thank me at your own cognizance.

PS. (Here is the part where I attempt to redeem myself) Cuban women make excellent mates and are very talented and keep their young looks far into their 70's. They are good cooks and take care of the house like none other. They take care of themselves and aren't afraid to dress the part when they feel it's necessary, which is most of the time. They are caring and affectionate. If I had never rode in a car my wife was driving, I would still think she was perfect. There was that OTHER thing, but if I mention it she may hurt me. Ooops! I mentioned it! I mean I didn't really but it could be construed to be mentioned in the way that I said it...I think I will erase this post...yeah where is the button?
Plans #618, a tub, and everything I need to go to chapter 11 except: TIME! and a cold beer

"I'll do the "thinnin'" around here, Bobba Looey" ! - Quicksdraw McGraw
Old 11-21-2006, 10:36 PM

ty, good recovery
Old 11-22-2006, 02:07 AM
MarkIV N513DP Cozy540Xtra

Clutch-
Pardon me if I am mistaken but it sounds like you wish that you'd married a Cuban?
whoaa, [yep thats me- dodging a flyin shoe]
Old 11-22-2006, 12:34 PM

Default What kind of villain throws his shoe....really?

Not me. Sitting here in the 40 something degree F weather in SW Florida, I need to keep all my feet coverings close by.
As I sit here recovering from a nasty case of bronchitis, I am drinking a hot chocolate (something we don't do much of here in SW Florida, we probably wouldn't drink hot coffee either if we weren't addicted to it already) and looking outside at the overcast skies and wondering if I could get any pity from someone up north.......nah, I dont think so. They had a guy from New Jersey on the news last night in a light jacket saying it is still better here than in "Jersey".
Oh well, you know it's cold here when the news interviews the local homeless shelter proprietor and asks what they need, always the same: "Pillows, blankets and diapers". Diapers? What do they need diapers for? A homeless baby is going to amble in and inform them of his "sticky" situation? Thank goodness we have diapers! Florida bends over backwards to help families especially those with children who are going through bad times, (unless you own a vehicle worth over $4500.00, then you don't get nuthin, nada, zip. It doesn't matter if you owe $20,000.00 on it, it's just a criteria they use to make sure you are really down and out) it is relatively easy to get and faster than walking to the shelter for a "change". So if you come here and lose your shirt on the gambling boats and you are flat broke and your baby's diaper needs changed, I believe there is one place you can go to get er done! I don't think they will ask you for proof of your broke status or what kind of car you drive (or did drive before that poker game) or how much it's worth, the only proof they need is: (as they say) "In the pudding".
But I digress..
It's not just women or women of certain races (although motor vehicle insurance agencies have statistics which, if originated from a human, that human would be in constant trouble with certain associations that fight prejudice etc. esp racial) but anyone who drives poorly or to whom you have to ask constantly, "What are you DOING"? or "You can't GO there"! or just screaming when it seems a crash is imminent. These would not make good candidates for aircraft pilots I think. It takes a cool head, someone that can think RATIONALLY under pressure and is conservative with legal and physical boundaries and is safety conscious. Maybe that's why many of my nerd, pocket protector wearing friends all became successful pilots, carting rock stars and CEOs all over the world in the latest and greatest kerosene burners.
So if your wife turns out to be a good pilot, you are one lucky stiff, I'll tell you that!

By the way, my wife is Cuban, from Matanza (city, not province) and she has the machine-gun stuccato Cuban-American dialect to prove it.
It wasn't a shoe Dennis, it was a hat with a rock in it.
Plans #618, a tub, and everything I need to go to chapter 11 except: TIME! and a cold beer

Old 11-22-2006, 04:22 PM
Cozy MkIV #1348

Clutch,

First, I lived in Florida for several years, and, at least where I lived, they needed those diapers, and they weren't for babies..... One of the main reasons I don't live there anymore. No early bird special where I live now!

Second, you made my day! The only two things I really miss since I moved from Florida to Illinois are the weather and the beach. Since it is 60 degrees and sunny here today, and it is 40 there, I now only miss one thing! I just turned the A/C on in the office, how sweet is that? Last year we had 2 inches of snow on Thanksgiving, this year we have to turn on the A/C

Mark
Old 11-22-2006, 06:59 PM

Wink to poop or not to poop, is that a question?

Mark,
I was born and raised in Indy and lived about 40 years in Indiana *somewhere*. They had a saying, "If you don't like the weather, just stick around, it will change". When I was 39 a freak accident left me outside my house in sub-zero temperatures in just my underwear. (It's a long story... ) I thought I would die. I didn't die but I made up my mind that I never wanted to live where you could die from just being outside. Of course my mindset at the time was cold temperatures, here you can die from being outside naked (sunburn) or flung into something a hurricane's winds isn't moving, or sheer mental frustration from traffic jams caused by people who are "on vacation" and are trying to get as much from their time as a man on death row. My favorite bumper sticker: Welcome to Florida, Now, GO HOME!
When I first came here, it was cheap and I had time to enjoy the beach and the water etc. Now, everything has gone up so much I spend all my time working, and the rest of the time complaining about it.
At least you're in a pretty area of Illinois, rolling hills and wheat/corn fields and plenty of places to go and have fun outside.
Of course, that's where the tornadoes would come from in the spring. Also, there is a small city called Effingham therabouts. Seeing as I am a "Ham" radio operator, I always duck when someone says that or when a man is surprised when his christmas goose is really a goose instead of a ham, "Where is the (small city in south central Illinois)??? I got smacked the first time I said that.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:01 PM
Cozy MkIV #1348

We lived in St. Pete for 9 years, we were moving out when 9/11 happened. Just too expensive and too many people, most of whom were too old and pissed off about it. Flying was certainly nice though. My long cross country during instrument training was to Key West.... Sure beats Effingham!

My favorite bumper stickers were:

If it's tourist season, what's the bag limit?

and

When I get old I'm moving North and driving slow!

Mark
Old 11-23-2006, 12:28 AM
Buly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSires View Post
My favorite bumper stickers were:

If it's tourist season, what's the bag limit?

and

When I get old I'm moving North and driving slow!

Mark
In FL now, red trafic light is only a suggestion.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:01 PM

Default Thread hijack alert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly View Post
In FL now, red trafic light is only a suggestion.
On our coast, traffic laws do not apply to tourists, visitors, politicians and dump trucks and police (who never really obeyed the traffic laws anyway except when the speed limit is 50, they will do 48 and cause traffic jams 5 miles long till a tourist blows by at 65, then when the local who passes at 50 as the 30th car to pass, he pulls him over and gives him a ticket for doing 65.....ask me how I know). The local constabulary forces wait at the end of a very bumpy stretch of road, full of huge chuckholes at night to give you a ticket for a light out unless you are a member of the group mentioned above.
The flying on our coast is huge! A pontoon plane is the only safe way to navigate the 'Glades though. Engine out: Think alligator bait or mosquito bite to death, if the cotton mouths don't get you or the price of a boat ride to civilization.

Is your wife gonna fly your bird Buly? (thread, back on track)