Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > Great Threads that can plane help builders, lurkers and fliers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2004, 12:00 PM

Default BUILD COST?

Is real 15000$ for build the airframe? I think is more.
RAKY.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:12 PM
redesigning every part before build

What are you thinking is included in the 15K

I understand for an airframe that will fly, with only day VFR instrument and NO ENGINE, 15 K is correct.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:20 PM

Default BUILD COST

I talk about no engine no instruments but I wonder because John say 45 to complete a cozy.......................
Old 04-29-2004, 12:30 PM

The last time I went over our reciepts, I believe we were around the $12K mark per plane, and we have not spent a whole lot after that. I would say $15K is a reasonable questimate plus your engine, prop, instruments, ect to get the bird up flying. When asked by others how mush the total costs will come to, I tell them around the $40K mark for basic instrumentation, engine, and prop. Then I tell them I could EASILY spend another $50K plus, on avionic and prop upgrades. My personal goal (or limit) though, is $40K. Thats pretty low cost for a plane of this caliber.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clifford
My personal goal (or limit) though, is $40K. Thats pretty low cost for a plane of this caliber.
Yes, extremely so. I got my issue of Flying a few days ago and read the story about the new certified Lancair. They claim a slightly higher top speed (220 kts, I think), but thats about the only advantage. The IO540 engine needs 98 gallons to go the same distance as the Cozy. This reduces its full fuel useful load to 512 lbs, for 4 people!!

All this for a measily $400,000....
Old 04-29-2004, 01:26 PM

I have a couple of Excel spreadsheets that have chapter breakdowns of materials and parts. I can't remember where I got them from, but one of them has "Wicks" on the heading. The prices are not up to date, but it's relatively easy to update the prices by using Wick's or Aircraft Spruce's websites for costs. If you would like, send me a private mail with your email address and I can send you a copy. Or if there's a way to attach the files here, someone let me know.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:26 PM

Default Velocity Kit advantage

See,there is an advantage to a kit Velocity that Dust never mentioned....I KNOW it cost $27,000.00 for my airframe (with only a few additional purchases)

DISCLAIMER: Ok, this is a joke, I am a smartass (but a friendly one...and, it is not my fault....being a smartass is genetic....you should pitty me for the burden). I do not want to start the debate between kit v plans. I love my Velocity kit, you all love your Cozy's, EZ's, Aerocads SQ2000's. We all chose what we chose for reasons that only matter to us. Ya see, sometimes I do play attorney.

All the best,

Chris
Old 04-29-2004, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

What, whaaaat, i said something, i am sorry, didn't notice i said something, i just fell asleep here at the screen waiting for the velocity chapter number and descriptions to put up.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 04-29-2004, 02:57 PM

Dust,

LOL.

I will have to give some thought as Velo Inc changed the chapters around last year. I am more than happy to share the current scheme with ya though. Chapter 1 is intro, 2 is Wings/Winglets, 3 is Canard/Elevator, 4 is Bulkheads, 5 = Doors and windows, 6 = Fuselage, 7 = Landing Gear, 8 = Wheels/Axels, 9 = Fuel System (Strakes), 10 = Control Systems, 11 = Fairings, 12 = Engine, 13 = Electical, 14 is final asemble & finishing, 15 = Interior and finally 16 = flight testing.

Hope it helps and that I did not break major protacol not sending in PM.

All the build, <g>

Chris
Old 04-29-2004, 03:24 PM

If I understand dust and john right, Polite is THE ONLY protocol. If thats true then there is no problem.
If there is an issue you will be sent a VERY POLITE private message. No public whippings here.

jimbus;
If you dont mind you can attach it to a post here. I think I would like to post and price updated version of the sheet For everyone to see.

RAKY
John will chime in here prolly but he included his engine 13B turbo and insturments I would guess. And a few batteries i think.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:32 PM

Tried to attach the files, didn't work. The software didn't accept the file type, which is ".xls". Anybody know how to fix this?
Old 04-29-2004, 03:38 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Yes, I've made a few slightly expensive mistakes along the way, but the $45 is a good rule of thumb. Everyone makes some mistakes.

Bare airframe - $15k
Engine & prop - $15k
Avionics - $15k

Turbo almost back on. Getting a bigger oil feed line.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:56 PM

Jimbus;
Thanks for your patience. I know I just pmed you to ask if you would email it.
Would you try posting it here again? I just changed it

Thanks
Old 04-29-2004, 05:00 PM

Default BUILD COST

Thanks for the replay! Let me say somting, this is a real forum,I fell everybody want to help no matter the simple of the question.
NOW WE GO!. RAKY.. MIAMI.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:21 PM

There should be two files attached. One is an excel file that is a listing by chapter of parts. The other file is a zip file of another listing of parts by chapter. Sorry about having one file being zipped, but it was too large to transfer without being zipped. This file is the more usable of the two. If you have problems with them, PM me and I'll send it to you on email.
Attached Files
File Type: xls partschap.xls (91.5 KB, 111 views)
File Type: zip parts.zip (62.0 KB, 87 views)