Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > Great Threads that can plane help builders, lurkers and fliers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2004, 12:30 PM

Default Shop / door size

I'd love to have a Cozy IV someday and I'm trying to visualize where I'd build it...

Living near Milwaukee, WI, an outdoor project would add significantly to the expense...and I don't have the space to legally build a (semi) permanent outdoor shop...

I could probably use 1/2 of our 2-car garage through much of the year (~ April - October, give or take a month on each end) but I'd really rather park my car out of the snow, so...

On the other hand, I could probably have all the building room I'd need in the basement (could probably even carefully attach the wings with the winglets poking up the between joists)...but the question is how I'd get it out....

As I recall, the strakes make the fuse around 11' wide, right?

I'm not about to put an 11' wide door in...so...how small of a hole can you fit a cozy fuse through?

On yet another hand...the strakes are about the last of the glass and foam...so conceivably the hull could be moved out of the basement for that last piece of construction, and parked in the garage for strake/tank/electrical/engine/finishing work...How big would the fuse be before the strakes?

Teej, planning the sickness.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

See for two cozies in a basement

http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net/s...light=basement

and an easy way to get it out in the pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3inahole.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	355  Click image for larger version

Name:	cliffordlargeprime.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	356  Click image for larger version

Name:	davecutting.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	357  Click image for larger version

Name:	fuselodgeout.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	358  Click image for larger version

Name:	fuselodgeup.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	359  

Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 08-30-2004, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

You can put a door in the basement, we just cut a hole, easier
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tomcutting.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	360  Click image for larger version

Name:	thanecutting.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	361  Click image for larger version

Name:	mikecutting.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	362  Click image for larger version

Name:	holyfloor.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	363  Click image for larger version

Name:	fuseup.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	364  

Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 08-30-2004, 04:23 PM

Oh...my...

Well, that is an interesting method of extracting the plane...but...then...how do you get it out of the house, cut a hole in the wall? :O

Actually, we were talking about the bulkhead door in terms of making it a whole lot easier to move building materials into the basement as well for refinishing...although your solution would accomplish that as well. Heh.

I don't think cutting through the floor is going to be my answer. I like being married and having all portions of my anatomy attached.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

hey, thought you would like our simple solution, as surprising as it sounds, if thirty people and two newspapers had not showed up, it would have been done in 2.5 hours, including re-stretching the carpet, as it was the "plane raising" party took about 6 hours.

if you look at the pics, you can see that if you hold the fuselage sideways, you know a 90 degree bank, it will fit through just about any door.

Same for the wings, canard, main spar, landing gear.
dust

Old 08-30-2004, 04:43 PM

Yeah, I can tell that now with your last set of pics...

I guess some questions would be answered if I popped for plans...including this one...but...Will it still "bank through" a doorway with the canopy/turtleback completed? I'm guessing that's a "permanently attached" structure...
Old 08-30-2004, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

You can easily make the turtledeck and install the windows in it in the basement, door would have to be darn big to get it out. Build it, by the time you need that extra room,and you will, you WILL find the room for the last part of the project.

I loved the climatically controlled basement, same temp year round.
dust

Old 08-30-2004, 04:56 PM

So the turtledeck is built separate and then grafted on? That's good to know.

Too bad the strakes can't be done that way (and removable), but I do realize what a pain that'd be for fuel.

T
Old 08-30-2004, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

See the turtledeck, ignore me, everyone else does

http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net/a...tachmentid=202
dust

Old 08-30-2004, 11:15 PM

Ah Dust, you're not ignored... go feel sorry someplace else.

Teej:
You may have noticed Dust's "Cozy Factory" - seems they're about to start building two more. Building together sounds like a lot more fun, a lot more productive. If you could handle the commute to Waunakee you might find a heated workshop in the hangar ...
Old 08-30-2004, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Wellllll, many think i am nuts for only having 1 plane day a week. but, i've made it a "plane day party" and since i am throwing it, i have to show up.

It is so dam easy for the plane building switch to get shut off that a way must be made to keep it on. I think having a group relying on you really helps keep it in the on position, it has for us.

Have 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 plane days a week, just make it so you show up and keeps your families.

Another nice thing about multiple people is knowledge. I am in charge of the engine, thane is in charge of instruments and dave does the metal parts.

We kept the airplanes Identical for 6 years, did not know who's was who's until dave and I went separate ways on the fuel sending units.

forgot to say it but, plane day is a 50 minute ride for thane and i each way, each week, we enjoy the conversations

dust

Old 08-31-2004, 01:34 AM

Cinderblock is easy to knock out and replace! Solid concrete not so easy...and I'm sure wives the world over are suspicous that the hole won't be filled cuz we're more interested in finishing the plane than patching some gap in the house before winter comes!

With a 14 mo old daughter in the house, no epoxy in the house for me. The adult body can deal with a lot more pollutant stresses than a child.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:54 PM

Waunakee? Waunakee what?

I could only find one Waunakee and since it's not much over an hour from me, I can't believe it's an hour from Troy, MI unless they're flying in each week.

(The Waunakee I found is in WI, near Madison)

Teej