Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Landing Gear, Wheels, Tires, and Brakes
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2007, 12:17 PM

Unhappy Main Gear Tab location

To all past chpt 9:

I'm at the "make the jig A'B'C'D point" and as I tried to locate the points for the 1/4 inch holes as per fig 13 chap 9, I cannot center the MG and get the holes to be at LEVEL and EQUAL in hights to the MG. I suspect the MG bow is not symetrical. By shifting the MG bow left and right off center (abt 1/2 inch) and shimming the right side two mixing sticks I can come to within an 1/8 of an inch - but the right side is still low. Two days now of redoing everything and staring at this problem, now it's a POST and a request for help. I know I've read it somewhere here or elswhere were others have experienced this same problem. MG is from featherlight.

Jerry 'HiGeez' Preiser
Old 05-26-2007, 07:58 PM

Jerry,
Have you looked here www.cozybuilders.org/mail_list/cozy-faq.html#9.5 also read 9.6 & 9.7. It sounds like one leg is shorter/longer than the other and you definitely DON'T want to shim one leg up and off center the strut or you will have a hell of a time trying to figure out the geometry later.

Check your inside midcord dimension again (95") and how "flat" the ends of the gear leg sit on your jig, you may be able to trim/taper the offending side to level out the strut.

You'll notice that there is no "height" dimension given on any of the drawings until you get to mounting the axles where you get to "fix" some of your errors, just not ones your talking about.

If you look at Chapter 9, Page 7, Figure 36 (third edition), the center of the axles are mounted some 1-1/2" down on the gear leg so you have a little room to trim the leg if needed without a negative effect to the sweep.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:18 PM

Jerry, just in case, look at Chapter 9, page 4, figure 21, showing the holes to be .70 to .75 above the strut (.75 being the best) at the 13" from center mark and not the top/center of the strut, you wouldn't want to do one of these http://www.cozybuilders.org/chapters/chap09_oaf.html
Old 05-27-2007, 08:49 AM

Default Thanx Jason -Gear tab

Jason,

All the above I did, checked and re-checked (24 hours later). 95" OK, 8* cut OK and flat on the floor, jig level (Smart Level level - not bubble level) in all dimentions, floor level. Not that my eyesight is that good but it appears that the symetry of the MG is not perfect. I'll go with the highest point above the MG at the 13 inch mark, translate it to the other side (however, it will be taller than the .75 limit????????) and go from there tomorrow. Stop me if I'm wrong.

Note: I read those posts before that's how I new beforehand that this was going to be problematic.

Jerry

Last edited by HiGeez : 05-27-2007 at 08:51 AM. Reason: spelling